Traveling to Japan and need a reliable and affordable way to stay connected?
With a pre-paid SIM card or a pocket WIFI, you can have access to high-speed data and stay connected with friends and family back home without the hassle of dealing with expensive roaming fees or complicated rental processes.
But with so many options available, it can be hard to choose the right one. That’s why we’ve put together an in-depth guide to the best pre-paid SIM cards for travelers to Japan, complete with prices and links to book. Whether you’re staying for a short trip or a long-term stay, we’ve got you covered.
Why Use a Pre-Paid SIM Card in Japan?
Japan is a country that is known for its technological advancements, and it’s no surprise that the country has a well-developed mobile network. While there are many options for staying connected in Japan, using a pre-paid SIM card is often the best choice for travelers. Here are a few reasons why:
- Cost-effective: Pre-paid SIM cards are often more cost-effective than other options, such as renting a mobile hotspot or using international roaming with your home carrier. With a pre-paid SIM card, you only pay for the data and calls that you use, and you can easily top up your balance as needed.
- Convenience: Buying a pre-paid SIM card is a straightforward process that can be done at the airport or at many convenience stores throughout Japan. Once you have your SIM card, you can easily insert it into your phone and start using it right away.
- Flexibility: With a pre-paid SIM card, you have the flexibility to choose the amount of data and calls that you need. Whether you need a small amount of data for a short trip or a larger data allowance for a longer stay, there are pre-paid SIM card options to suit your needs.
Overall, using a pre-paid SIM card is a cost-effective, convenient, and flexible option for staying connected while traveling in Japan. By choosing the right pre-paid SIM card and plan, travelers can stay connected without breaking the bank.
Types of Pre-paid SIM Cards in Japan
When it comes to pre-paid SIM cards in Japan, there are a few different types to choose from. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to understand what you’re getting before you make a purchase. Here are the main types of pre-paid SIM cards available in Japan:
Short-term SIM Cards
If you’re only visiting Japan for a short period of time, a short-term SIM card may be the best option for you. These SIM cards typically offer a set amount of data for a fixed price and are valid for a specific number of days. They are ideal for tourists who need to stay connected while they travel but don’t want to commit to a long-term contract. Some popular short-term SIM card options include:
- Sakura Mobile
- Japan Travel SIM
Long-term SIM Cards
If you’re planning to stay in Japan for an extended period of time, a long-term SIM card may be a better option. These SIM cards typically offer more data and longer validity periods than short-term SIM cards, but may require a longer commitment. Some popular long-term SIM card options include:
Data-only SIM Cards
If you don’t need to make phone calls or send text messages, a data-only SIM card may be the best option for you. These SIM cards offer a set amount of data for a fixed price, and are ideal for travelers who primarily use data for internet browsing, social media, and messaging apps. Some popular data-only SIM card options include:
Overall, there are plenty of pre-paid SIM card options available for travelers to Japan. By understanding the different types of SIM cards and what they offer, you can choose the best option for your needs and stay connected while you explore this amazing country.
Best Pre-paid SIM cards for travelers to Japan
Travelers to Japan have a variety of prepaid SIM card options to choose from, each with its own set of features and benefits. Here are some of the best prepaid SIM cards for travelers to Japan:
|Provider||Price||Data||Validity||Link to Book|
|Sakura Mobile||US$36.83||Unlimited||8 days||Book now|
|B-Mobile||¥3,980||Unlimited||21 days||Book now|
|JAPAN TRAVEL SIM||¥2,980||Unlimited||15 days|
Sakura Mobile is a popular choice among travelers to Japan, with its unlimited data plan for 8 days at a reasonable price. B-Mobile offers a longer validity period of 21 days for its unlimited data plan, making it a good option for longer stays. JAPAN TRAVEL SIM offers a 15-day unlimited data plan at a lower price point, making it a great budget option for travelers.
It is important to note that some SIM cards may have restrictions on the types of activities that can be performed with the data plan. For example, some SIM cards may not allow tethering or may have speed restrictions after a certain amount of data usage. Travelers should carefully review the terms and conditions of each SIM card before making a purchase.
Additionally, some SIM cards may require activation or registration before use. Travelers should plan accordingly and activate their SIM card before arriving in Japan to avoid any delays or issues.
How to Buy a Pre-Paid SIM Card in Japan
Buying a pre-paid SIM card in Japan is relatively easy, and there are several options available for travelers. Here are a few steps to follow:
- Decide on the type of SIM card you need: data-only or voice and data. Most travelers opt for data-only SIM cards as they are cheaper and more convenient.
- Choose a provider: There are several providers to choose from, including NTT Docomo, Softbank, and Y! Mobile. Each provider offers different plans and prices, so it’s important to compare them before making a decision.
- Check if your phone is unlocked: Before buying a SIM card, make sure your phone is unlocked and compatible with the Japanese network. If your phone is locked, you may need to contact your carrier to unlock it.
- Buy the SIM card: You can buy a pre-paid SIM card at the airport, convenience stores, or electronics stores. Some popular options include BIC Camera, Yodobashi Camera, and Don Quijote. You can also buy SIM cards online before your trip.
- Activate the SIM card: Once you have bought the SIM card, you will need to activate it. Follow the instructions provided by the provider to activate your SIM card.
It’s important to note that some providers may require you to show your passport when buying a SIM card. This is because Japan has strict laws regarding the use of mobile phones, and providers need to verify the identity of their customers.
When buying a pre-paid SIM card in Japan, it’s also important to consider the coverage and speed of the network. According to Phone Travel Wiz, NTT Docomo has the best coverage in Japan, followed by Softbank and Y! Mobile. However, Softbank and Y! Mobile offer faster speeds than NTT Docomo.
Overall, buying a pre-paid SIM card in Japan is a straightforward process, and there are several options available for travelers. By doing your research and comparing plans and prices, you can find a SIM card that meets your needs and budget.
The Sum Up
Traveling to Japan can be an amazing experience, but staying connected with your loved ones and navigating your way around the country can be challenging without a reliable internet connection. However, with the right prepaid SIM card, you can stay connected and enjoy your trip to the fullest.
From our experience, the best prepaid SIM card for travelers to Japan is the Sakura Mobile Unlimited Plan. With this plan, you get unlimited data for 8 days at a reasonable price of $36.83. This plan is perfect for short-term travelers who need fast and reliable internet access.
For those staying in Japan for a longer period, the Japan Wireless Unlimited Plan is a great option. With this plan, you get unlimited data for 30 days at a reasonable price of $84. This plan is perfect for those who need a reliable internet connection for work or study purposes.
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option, the Mobal Japan Unlimited Plan is a great choice. With this plan, you get unlimited data for 30 days at a reasonable price of $49. This plan is perfect for those who want to stay connected without breaking the bank.