On August 25, 2023, the 71st Shonan Hiratsuka Fireworks Festival is set to dazzle the night sky of Hiratsuka city, Kanagawa prefecture. Initiated in 1951 as the “Suga Cooling Off Fireworks Festival,” this event has grown into a historic spectacle celebrating its 71st anniversary this year.
Shonan Hiratsuka Fireworks Festival: A Pyrotechnic Feast
Approximately 3,000 fireworks, primarily Starmines, will light up the night sky over Hiratsuka and Suga Port. The show-stopping finale, a “Firework Illusion” synchronized to music, is a sight to behold.
For this year’s edition, all viewing areas will be designated paid seats (advance ticket system), and the usual free viewing seats around Hiratsuka Shin Port will not be available. In case of bad weather on August 25 (Friday), the fireworks launch will be postponed to August 27 (Sunday).
- Name: 71st Shonan Hiratsuka Fireworks Festival
- Date: August 25, 2023 (Friday)
- Time: 19:00 – 20:00
- Location: Shonan tide (Sagami River mouth) [Google Map]
- Address: Sengoku Riverside, Hiratsuka City, Kanagawa Prefecture
- Number of Launches: About 3,000 shots
- Rainy Day Arrangement: In case of bad weather, postponed to August 27, 2023 (Sunday)
- Paid Viewing Seat Ticket Sales: Scheduled to begin in early July 2023.
A Quick Note On The Japan Rail Pass Price Hike
The price of the wonderful Japan Rail Pass is going up a massive 62% in October but there’s still time to lock in the old rates if you’re quick. Klook still offers the old prices so if you buy before September 30th you can travel with the old prices until December 28th, 2023.
Transportation Access, Nearest Station & Parking
- On Foot: 35-minute walk from JR ‘Hiratsuka Station’
- By Bus: From JR ‘Hiratsuka Station’, take a 10-minute bus ride on Kanachu/Suga Port line, get off at ‘Suga Port’, 5-minute walk. Fare: One-way Adult 180 yen, Child 90 yen. A temporary bus service is also expected to run from JR ‘Hiratsuka Station’ South Exit.
- By Car: Approximately 5 minutes from the Ken-O Expressway (Sagami Longitudinal Road) Chigasaki Seaside IC, about 50 minutes from the Tomei Expressway Atsugi IC, and approximately 20 minutes from the Odawara Atsugi Road Hiratsuka IC.
- Parking: A free parking lot will be set up on the riverside east side of Hiratsuka Bicycle Race Track. There is no parking near the venue.
- Bicycles/Parking: Hiratsuka Bicycle Race Track will serve as a free bicycle parking area. There is no bicycle parking near the venue.
This annual summer tradition is a highlight of the Shonan Hiratsuka area along with their Tanabata Festival, drawing in crowds with its beautiful and elaborate firework displays.