If you’re a fan of stunning vistas, lush landscapes, and craft beers, then you’re in for a treat! Nestled atop Tokyo’s famous Mount Takao lies Beer Mount, a sensational beer garden that perfectly encapsulates Japan’s natural beauty and the refreshing goodness of ice-cold brews.
Beer Mount: The Basics
Located at 500 meters above sea level, Beer Mount serves as Tokyo’s highest beer garden. The venue, open from mid-June to mid-October, features an all-you-can-eat-and-drink buffet for a span of 90 minutes. This dynamic spot adds an adventurous spin to your typical beer garden experience, blending the crisp mountain air with the tantalizing flavors of beer, sake, wine, and an array of delightful dishes.
Cuisine and Drinks
The buffet at Beer Mount is an eclectic mix of Japanese and Western-style barbecues, seasonal vegetables, desserts, and much more. The star of the show, of course, is the vast selection of beers. From frothy pints of classic lagers to the rich notes of craft brews, you’ll find a beer to suit your palate. If you’re not a fan of beer, you can also opt for wine, sake, or non-alcoholic drinks.
Price and Times
For adults, the buffet comes at a very reasonable price of ¥3,400 on weekdays and ¥3,800 on weekends and holidays. Children aged 3-12 years can enjoy the same for ¥1,200, while toddlers aged 2 or below can join in for free.
The beer garden operates in two-time slots: 13:00-15:00 and 15:00-19:00. Remember, your feasting and drinking are limited to 90 minutes within these windows.
Beer Mount opens its doors from June 15 to October 15 in 2023. However, the specific start and end dates might vary slightly depending on the year, so it’s recommended to check their official website or contact them directly for the most accurate information.
Accessing Beer Mount
To get to Beer Mount, you need to conquer Mount Takao first. Don’t worry, though, as it’s one of the most accessible and beginner-friendly hikes in Tokyo. You can choose to trek the entire route or take a cable car or lift halfway up the mountain. The beer garden is located at the cable car’s Takaosan Station.
An Experience Like No Other
The real charm of Beer Mount is the unbeatable combination of top-notch food, refreshing drinks, and breathtaking views of Tokyo, Yokohama, and Mount Fuji. Whether you’re watching the sunset with a chilled beer in your hand or gazing at the star-studded night sky, your visit to Beer Mount will undoubtedly be a memorable one.
In conclusion, Beer Mount is more than just a beer garden. It’s an experience that marries nature, adventure, and the time-honored tradition of beer-drinking in an exciting and unique way. So, when you’re in Tokyo during the summer, make sure to add Mount Takao’s Beer Mount to your itinerary.
Directions from Tokyo
Mount Takao, and consequently Beer Mount, is conveniently located just an hour away from central Tokyo. Here’s how you can get there:
- From Shinjuku Station, take the Keio Line to Takaosanguchi Station. The journey takes about 50 minutes and costs ¥390.
- From Takaosanguchi Station, it’s a short walk to the cable car station or the foot of the hiking trails leading up to Mount Takao.
- If you’re taking the cable car, get off at Takaosan Station. Beer Mount is just a short walk from there.
Pro Tip: Pick up an Mt. Takao Discount Ticket For Keio Trains, Cable Car, and Chair Lifts
Other Beer Gardens in Tokyo
If you’re looking to explore more beer gardens in Tokyo, here are a few of my top recommendations:
- Forest Beer Garden: Situated in the Meiji Shrine’s Outer Garden, the Forest Beer Garden offers a green respite in the heart of Tokyo, with ample beer choices and barbecue delights.
- Tokyo Dome City Beer Garden: Located in the exciting Tokyo Dome City, this beer garden serves up beer and barbecue with a side of thrilling entertainment options.
- The Rooftop Bar at Roppongi Hills: This upscale beer garden not only offers a wide variety of beers and foods but also boasts a phenomenal view of the Tokyo skyline.
- Odaiba Oktoberfest: Although it’s a temporary setup, the Odaiba Oktoberfest brings the authentic German beer garden experience to Tokyo with a range of German beers, sausages, and lively music.