Kyushu, Japan’s southernmost main island, offers an array of flavors and traditions distinct from the rest of the country. And luckily for Tokyoites, you don’t have to make the journey down south to experience it!
Kyushu Tourism & Product Fair in Yoyogi 2023
From October 6th (Fri) to October 9th (Mon/Holiday), the heart of Tokyo’s Shibuya in Yoyogi Park will be filled with the delights and tastes of Kyushu. This annual event, marking its 14th anniversary, promises a showcase of Kyushu’s culinary, cultural, natural, and touristic charms.
Delicious Highlights From Kyushu
The fair boasts an ensemble of “umakamon” – a term that loosely translates to ‘tasty things’, and they aren’t kidding!
Past events featured delicacies such as:
- From Fukuoka: Hakata Motsu Nabe Ramen, Spicy Cod Roe, Dessert Puddings, and Tetsunabe Gyoza.
- Saga’s offerings: Majenba, Saga Beef Bowl, Traditional Japanese sweets, and Natural Dye Crafts.
- Nagasaki’s delicacies: Sasebo Burger, Chanpon noodles, Steamed Oysters, Sardine Skewers, and Iki Beef Curry Bread.
- Kumamoto’s delights: Karashi Renkon, Surprise Dumplings, Horsemeat Sausages, Grilled Fish, and Amakusa Tai Rice.
- Oita’s specialties: Yoshino Chicken Rice, Hita Fried Noodles, Chicken Tempura, Dried Shiitake, and Boneless Fried Chicken.
- From Miyazaki: Mango Soft Serve, Charcoal Grilled Chicken, Local Chicken Frankfurters, and Meat-wrapped Rice Balls.
- Kagoshima’s treasures: Black Pork Skewers, Black Pork Menchi Katsu, Shaved Ice, and Sweet Potato Sticks.
Not to mention the assembly of popular shochu and sake from distilleries across Kyushu, including Kagoshima, Miyazaki, Fukuoka, and Saga. Pair them with regional beers to truly enjoy the essence of Kyushu’s “umakamon”.
Name: 14th Kyushu Tourism & Product Fair in Yoyogi 2023
Dates: October 6th (Fri) to October 9th (Mon/Holiday)
Time: 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Venue: Yoyogi Park Event Plaza
Address: 2-3 Jinnan, Shibuya City, Tokyo
Note: The event will proceed in light rain but will be canceled in severe weather.
How to Get There
- 7-minute walk from JR Harajuku Station
- 7-minute walk from Tokyo Metro Yoyogi Park Station
- 7-minute walk from Tokyo Metro Meiji Jingu-mae Station
- 6-minute walk from Odakyu Yoyogi-Hachiman Station
So, for a mini-vacation without the airfare, head over to Yoyogi Park this October and let Kyushu come to you!