For those visiting Tokyo, one of the most exciting experiences is getting to wear a traditional Japanese kimono or yukata. These garments are not only beautiful but also steeped in culture and history.
Fortunately, there are many rental services throughout Tokyo that offer affordable and authentic kimono and yukata rentals. In this article, we will explore some of the best rental services in Tokyo and provide tips on how to book them.
- Asakusa is the best area to rent and walk around in a Kimono
- Many rental shops offer affordable packages
- You can reserve online easily with Klook or Viator.
- While you’re at it, why not take a rikshaw ride
- If you don’t book online there also walk-in services in Asakusa
- Decide if you also want hair-styling or make-up too
- Prices start at ¥4,500 for a 4-hour rental.
One of the best places to rent a kimono or yukata in Tokyo is Asakusa, a popular tourist destination with many rental shops. Asakusa Taisho Romankan is a highly recommended rental shop that offers a variety of kimonos and yukatas for rent, along with hair-styling services.
Another great option is Kimono Miyabi, which has over 200 outfits for men and women to choose from. Booking online beforehand is always recommended to secure your spot and avoid long wait times.
When booking a kimono or yukata rental, it’s important to consider the duration of the rental, the type of garment you want, and any additional services you may need, such as hair-styling or make-up.
Prices can vary depending on these factors, but many rental shops offer affordable packages that include everything you need for a memorable experience. By doing your research and booking in advance, you can ensure a stress-free and enjoyable kimono or yukata rental experience in Tokyo.
Why Renting a Kimono or Yukata is a Must-Do in Tokyo
When visiting Tokyo, one of the most popular experiences is renting a kimono or yukata and walking around the city in traditional Japanese attire. Here are a few reasons why renting a kimono or yukata is a must-do in Tokyo:
- Experience Japanese culture: Renting a kimono or yukata is a great way to immerse yourself in Japanese culture and feel like a local. You’ll get a taste of what it’s like to wear traditional clothing and walk around the city like the locals do.
- Great photo opportunities: Tokyo is a city full of photo opportunities, and wearing a kimono or yukata only adds to the charm. You can take photos in front of shrines, temples, and other historic landmarks, or simply walk around the city and snap photos in different neighborhoods.
- Comfortable and stylish: Kimonos and yukatas are not only beautiful, but they’re also comfortable to wear. They’re made of lightweight materials and are perfect for walking around the city on a warm day. Plus, they come in a variety of colors and patterns, so you can choose one that suits your style.
Overall, renting a kimono or yukata is a unique and memorable experience that you won’t want to miss during your trip to Tokyo.
There are many affordable kimono rental shops in Tokyo that offer a variety of styles and sizes to choose from. Some popular rental shops include Kimono Miyabi, Asakusa Taisho Roman-kan, and VASARA.
Top Kimono and Yukata Rental Services in Tokyo
When it comes to renting a kimono or yukata in Tokyo, there are plenty of options to choose from. Here are some of the top rental services to consider:
- Kyoto Kimono Rental Tokyo Asakusa: This rental service offers a range of authentic kimonos and yukatas to choose from, with prices starting at ¥3,500 for a 4-hour rental. They also offer hair and makeup services for an additional fee.
- Tokyo Samurai Kimono Rental: This rental service offers a unique twist on traditional kimono rentals by offering samurai and ninja costumes as well. Prices start at ¥4,500 for a 4-hour rental.
- Asakusa Kimono Rental Sakura: This rental service offers a variety of kimonos and yukatas for rent, with prices starting at ¥3,000 for a 4-hour rental. They also offer hair and makeup services for an additional fee.
These rental services have been highly rated by customers for their quality of kimonos, helpful staff, and reasonable prices. However, it’s important to note that reservations are typically required in advance, especially during peak tourist seasons.
When booking a rental service, it’s also important to consider the location of the rental shop and its proximity to popular tourist attractions. For example, Asakusa is a popular area for kimono rentals due to its traditional atmosphere and proximity to Senso-ji Temple.
Additionally, it’s important to read the rental policies carefully, as some rental services may charge additional fees for late returns or damages to the kimono or yukata. By doing your research and booking in advance, you can ensure a seamless and enjoyable kimono or yukata rental experience in Tokyo.
How to Book a Kimono or Yukata Rental Service
If you’re planning to rent a kimono or yukata in Tokyo, it’s important to book in advance to ensure availability. Here are some steps to follow:
- Do some research and decide which rental service you want to use. Check out websites like Klook for options.
- Choose your rental package. Most rental services offer different packages depending on how long you want to rent the kimono or yukata for, and whether you want additional accessories or hair styling services.
- Make a reservation online or by phone. Some rental services require a deposit to secure your booking.
- Confirm your reservation details. Make sure you know the date, time, and location of your rental, as well as any additional fees or requirements.
- Arrive on time for your rental appointment. Be sure to bring a form of identification, such as a passport or driver’s license, and wear comfortable shoes for walking.
- Enjoy your kimono or yukata rental experience! Take lots of photos and make some unforgettable memories.
Remember, it’s always best to book your kimono or yukata rental in advance to avoid disappointment. By following these steps, you can ensure a smooth and enjoyable rental experience in Tokyo.
Tips for Wearing a Kimono or Yukata
Wearing a kimono or yukata can be a unique and memorable experience, but it can also be a bit tricky if you’re not familiar with the traditional Japanese attire. Here are some tips to help you wear a kimono or yukata properly:
- Wear the right undergarments: Make sure to wear a slip or undergarment that is not visible under the kimono or yukata.
- Choose the right accessories: The right accessories can add to the overall look of your outfit. Consider wearing a decorative obi belt or adding a hair accessory.
- Wear the right footwear: Traditional Japanese footwear like geta or zori sandals are usually worn with a kimono or yukata. Make sure to choose a pair that is comfortable and fits well.
- Adjust the length: The length of the kimono or yukata should be adjusted to your height. It should fall just above the ankle, and the sleeves should be at wrist level.
- Wrap the kimono or yukata properly: The kimono or yukata should be wrapped from left to right, with the left side over the right. The obi belt should be tied in the back.
Keep in mind that wearing a kimono or yukata is a form of traditional Japanese dress, and it’s important to show respect for the culture by wearing it properly. If you’re unsure about how to wear a kimono or yukata, many rental shops offer assistance and guidance.
Kimono rental shops usually provide a dressing service, so you don’t have to worry about getting it right on your own.
The Sum Up
With so many options for kimono and yukata rental services in Tokyo, it can be overwhelming to choose the right one. However, by doing some research and considering factors such as location, price, and quality of service, visitors can find the perfect rental experience to suit their needs.
When booking a rental service, it’s important to pay attention to the details, such as the rental period, accessories included, and any additional fees. Some services may also require advance reservations, so it’s important to plan ahead.
Overall, renting a kimono or yukata is a fantastic way to experience Japanese culture and create lasting memories. By choosing the right rental service and taking the time to enjoy the experience, visitors can truly immerse themselves in the beauty and tradition of Japan.