** Please Note: The 2023 Perry Fireworks Festival set for Saturday, July 15th has unfortunately been canceled due to very strong winds. We are told that, unlike some fireworks festivals, it won’t be switched to the following night. For more information, visit the official website of the Kurihama Perry Festival.
Prepare to witness the night sky in Yokosuka in Kanagawa Prefecture, light up like never before at the Kurihama Perry Festival Fireworks. This event, scheduled for July 15, 2023 (Saturday), is making a triumphant return after a four-year hiatus.
Light up the Night Sky: Kurihama Perry Festival Fireworks 2023
The Kurihama Perry Festival Fireworks event is one of the highlights of Yokosuka’s summer festivities. It forms the grand finale of the ‘Kurihama Perry Festival’, an annual event that commemorates the landing of the fleet led by Commodore Perry in Kurihama.
On the day of the event, alongside the Kurihama Perry Festival Fireworks, you can partake in the ‘Commodore Perry Landing Memorial Ceremony’. Although the ‘Japan-US Friendship Perry Parade’ will not be held in 2023, you can still enjoy the local Yokosuka Opening Bazaar, which will be teeming with food stalls and other attractions.
The star of the evening, the ‘Kurihama Perry Fireworks Festival’ promises a splendid spectacle of about 3,500 fireworks, including star mines and wide star mines, illuminating the night sky over Kurihama Harbor.
Essential Event Details
- Event Name: 2023 Kurihama Perry Festival Fireworks
- Date: July 15, 2023 (Saturday)
- Time: 19:30 – 20:00
- Fireworks Count: Approximately 3,500
- Fireworks Location: [Kurihama Harbor, Yokosuka]
- Viewing Spots: Perry Park, Kurihama Beach, the back sea wall of Cainz Home (Former Nichiro sea wall)
- Address: Kurihama, Yokosuka City, Kanagawa Prefecture
- Note: The event will continue in light rain
A Quick Note On The Japan Rail Pass Price Hike
The price of the wonderful Japan Rail Pass is going up a massive 62% in October but there’s still time to lock in the old rates if you’re quick. Klook still offers the old prices so if you buy before September 30th you can travel with the old prices until December 28th, 2023.
Getting to Kurihama Perry Festival Fireworks
For those planning to visit, here are some travel options:
- On Foot: It’s about a 20-minute walk from both the ‘Kurihama Station’ on the JR line and the ‘Keikyu Kurihama Station’ on the Keikyu line.
- By Bus: There are buses available from both ‘Kurihama Station’ and ‘Keikyu Kurihama Station’ that stop right by the ‘Perry Memorial’. The bus ride is approximately 10 minutes.
Be warned, however, the roads around Kurihama tend to become heavily congested on the day of the festival. If you are traveling by train, it is recommended to walk from ‘Kurihama Station’ to Kurihama Beach.
For more information, visit the official website of the Kurihama Perry Festival.