If you’re heading to Tokyo, one of the most important things to consider is where to stay. With so many neighborhoods and accommodation options available, it can be hard to know the right one. However, with a little research and planning, you can find the perfect place to stay that fits your budget, preferences, and travel plans.
Tokyo has a wide range of accommodation options to suit every taste and budget. From budget-friendly hostels to luxury hotels, traditional ryokans to modern apartments, there’s Something to accommodate all. However, it’s important to choose the right neighborhood based on your interests and travel plans, as each area has its own unique vibe and attractions.
In this article, we’ll give you a comprehensive guide to accommodation in Tokyo, including the best neighborhoods to stay in, the most popular types of accommodation, and tips for finding the best deals. Whether you’re looking for a budget-friendly option or a luxurious experience, we’ve got you covered. So, let’s dive in and discover the best places to stay in Tokyo!
Types of Accommodation
When it comes to choosing accommodation in Tokyo, there are options available to you. Here’s a few of the most popular types:
- Hotels: Tokyo has a fantastic selection of hotels in all price ranges. The city’s luxury hotels are on par with the best hotels anywhere. For more information, check out the Best Tokyo Luxury Hotels page. The best value can often be found in mid-range and so-called “business hotels,” which are small but efficient hotels that often offer free breakfasts and Wi-Fi.
- Airbnb: Airbnb is a popular option for travelers who want to stay in a more residential area and experience life like a local. You can find a wide range of apartments, houses, and rooms available for rent on Airbnb, from budget-friendly to high-end.
- Capsule Hotels: Capsule hotels are a unique Japanese accommodation option that offers small, pod-like rooms for guests to sleep in. While they may not be the most comfortable option, they are often the cheapest and offer a unique experience for travelers.
- Ryokan: Ryokan are traditional Japanese inns that offer a unique cultural experience. They are often more expensive than other options but offer a chance to experience traditional Japanese hospitality, food, and architecture.
- Hostels: Hostels are a popular option for budget travelers and backpackers. Tokyo has a wide range of hostels available, from basic dormitory-style rooms to private rooms with en-suite bathrooms.
When choosing your accommodation, consider your budget, location preferences, and the type of experience you want to have. With so many options available, you’re sure to find the perfect place to stay in Tokyo.
Best Areas to Stay in Tokyo
If you’re heading to Tokyo, one of the most important decisions you’ll make is where to stay. Tokyo is a vast city, and each neighborhood has its own unique vibe and attractions. Here’s a few of the best areas to stay in Tokyo for tourists and first-time visitors:
Shinjuku is the best area to stay in Tokyo for first-time visitors because it’s close to many attractions, restaurants, and bars as well as metro stations for quick access to other areas. It’s also home to the world’s busiest train station, Shinjuku Station, which makes it easy to get around the city.
Asakusa is the best place to stay in Tokyo if you’re on a budget. It’s home to many affordable hostels and guesthouses, as well as the famous Senso-ji Temple and the Nakamise shopping street.
Shibuya is the coolest place to stay in Tokyo. It’s known for its trendy fashion boutiques, lively nightlife, and the hectic Shibuya Crossing, Shibuya Sky right above it, and everyone’s favorite loyal dog Hachiko. It’s also home to many affordable hotels and hostels.
Ginza is the best place to stay in Tokyo for big spenders. It’s known for its luxury shopping, Michelin-starred restaurants, and upscale hotels. It’s also home to the famous Kabuki-za theater.
Roppongi is the best area to stay in Tokyo for nightlife. It’s known for its many bars, clubs, and restaurants, as well as its proximity to the Tokyo Tower and the Roppongi Hills shopping complex.
Tokyo Bay is the best place to stay in Tokyo for families. It’s home to many family-friendly attractions, such as the Tokyo Disney Resort, the Legoland Discovery Center, and the Odaiba beach and Seaside Park.
Ueno is a great area to stay in Tokyo for its many museums and cultural attractions, such as the Tokyo National Museum and the Ueno Zoo. It’s also home to many affordable hotels and hostels.
Akihabara is the ideal place in Tokyo for anime and manga fans. It’s known for its many electronics stores, anime shops, and maid cafes. It’s also home to many affordable hotels and hostels.
Odaiba is a man-made island in Tokyo Bay that’s known for its many shopping malls, theme parks, and museums. It’s a great place to stay if you want to be close to the waterfront and enjoy sweeping views of the Rainbow Bridge and Tokyo Bay.
Overall, Tokyo has a wide range of accommodations to suit every budget and taste. Whether you’re looking for luxury hotels, affordable hostels, or traditional ryokans, you’re sure to find something that suits your needs in one of these neighborhoods.
Budget Accommodation Options
If you’re looking to save money on your trip to Tokyo, there are plenty of budget accommodation options available. Hostels are a popular choice for budget travelers, with prices ranging from $15 to $50 per night. Many hostels offer private rooms as well as dormitory-style accommodations, so you can choose the option that best suits your needs.
Another option is to stay in a capsule hotel, which is a unique Japanese accommodation experience. Capsule hotels offer small, private sleeping pods that are stacked on top of each other. While they may not be the most spacious option, they are a great way to save money while still having your own private space.
Ryokans are another option for budget travelers. These traditional Japanese inns offer a unique cultural experience and typically include meals in the room rate. Prices for ryokans vary, but you can expect to pay between $50 and $100 per night.
Finally, Airbnb is a popular option for travelers looking for budget accommodation options. Renting a room from a local can offer a more authentic experience and can also come with some perks, such as excellent trip advice. Just be sure to read reviews and choose a reputable host.
Luxury Accommodation Options
If you’re looking for a truly luxurious stay in Tokyo, you won’t be disappointed. The city is home to high-end hotels that offer top-notch amenities and services. Here’s a few of the best luxury accommodation options in Tokyo:
- The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, A Luxury Collection Hotel: This hotel is in central Tokyo and offers stunning views of the city. The rooms are spacious and elegantly decorated, and the hotel features restaurants and bars, a fitness center, and a spa.
- Palace Hotel Tokyo: This historic property has been renovated to offer modern amenities and services. The hotel is near the Imperial Palace and offers beautiful views of the surrounding gardens. The rooms are spacious and well-appointed, and the hotel features restaurants and bars, a fitness center, and a spa.
- Aman Tokyo: This luxury hotel is in the heart of Tokyo and offers a serene and peaceful atmosphere. The rooms are spacious and elegantly decorated, and the hotel features restaurants and bars, a fitness center, and a spa.
These luxury hotels offer a range of amenities and services to make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. From fine dining to spa treatments, you’ll find everything you need to relax and unwind during your stay in Tokyo.
Keep in mind that these luxury hotels come with a high price tag, so they may not be suitable for budget travelers. However, if you’re looking for a truly luxurious experience in Tokyo, these hotels are definitely worth considering.
More: 8 Top Luxury Hotels In Tokyo
Unique Accommodation Options
Looking for a unique place to stay during your trip to Tokyo? Look no further than these unconventional accommodation options:
- Capsule Hotels: While not for the claustrophobic, capsule hotels are definitely among the more unique accommodation options in Tokyo. They’re a neat experience as an alternative to a hostel, but they do have their own conventions, such as gender-segregated floors.
- Henn-na Hotel: This chain has a number of outlets scattered across the country, with a few also in some of Tokyo’s most central neighborhoods like the ones in Ginza and Nishikasai (near Tokyo Disney). The hotel features robots that help with check-in and other tasks, making for a futuristic and unique experience.
- Tokyo Little House: This charming apartment hotel is in the center of Tokyo, just 300 meters from Akasaka Station. The rooms are air-conditioned and feature complimentary WiFi throughout the property.
- Hotel 1899 Tokyo: This hotel is affordable, has impeccable interior design and is at the heart of Shinbashi. It’s made for tea lovers, and features a tea lounge where You can enjoy a cup of tea.
- Hotel Hisoca Ikebukuro: Located just a few minutes from Ikebukuro Station on the Yamanote Line, this hotel is unique in that every room — and we mean every room — is equipped with a personal sauna.
These unique accommodation options are sure to make your stay in Tokyo unforgettable. Whether you’re looking for a futuristic experience or a charming apartment hotel, there’s Something to interest all. Just be sure to book early, as these unconventional options tend to fill up quickly!
Tips for Booking Accommodation in Tokyo
When it comes to booking accommodation in Tokyo, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure a smooth and enjoyable stay. Here are some tips to help you book the perfect accommodation for your needs:
- Location: Tokyo is a vast city, so it’s important to consider where you want to stay. If you’re interested in shopping and nightlife, areas like Shibuya and Shinjuku are great options. For a more traditional experience, consider staying in areas like Asakusa or Yanaka.
- Budget: Tokyo can be an expensive city, but there are plenty of budget-friendly options available. Hostels and capsule hotels are popular choices for budget travelers, while business hotels offer affordable yet comfortable rooms.
- Book in advance: Tokyo is a popular destination, so it’s important to book your accommodation in advance to ensure availability. Some hotels and hostels may offer discounts for early bookings.
- Read reviews: Before booking your accommodation, be sure to read reviews from previous guests. This can give you a better idea of what to expect and help you avoid any unpleasant surprises.
- Consider amenities: Depending on your needs, you may want to consider amenities like free Wi-Fi, laundry facilities, and breakfast options. Some hotels may also offer additional services like luggage storage and airport transfers.
By keeping these tips in mind, you can find the perfect accommodation for your Tokyo trip. Whether you’re on a tight budget or looking for a luxurious stay, Tokyo has something to offer for every type of traveler.
The Sum Up
You now have a good understanding of the different accommodation options available in Tokyo. Whether you’re looking for budget-friendly hostels, traditional ryokans, or luxurious hotels, Tokyo has Something to interest all.
When choosing your accommodation, consider your budget, preferred location, and the amenities that matter most to you. If you’re a first-time visitor to Tokyo, we recommend staying in the Shinjuku area, which offers a wide range of restaurants, bars, and street food.
Keep in mind that Tokyo is a bustling city, and accommodations can fill up quickly. It’s best to book your stay in advance to ensure you get the best rates and availability.
Remember to also consider the cultural differences when staying in Tokyo. For example, many hotels and ryokans have shared bathing facilities, so be prepared to follow the local customs and etiquette.
Overall, Tokyo is a unique and exciting destination with plenty of accommodation options to suit any traveler’s needs. With a little research and planning, you can find the perfect place to stay and make the most of your trip to this vibrant city.